Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oaty Soda Bread

I'm on holiday at the moment so I have a bit of time on my hands. Yesterday I decided to make a 100 list, a list of 100 recipes that I want to make. I'm always finding recipes that I want to try, but then I forget about them so this way I won't. Unfortunately my 100 list turned into a 200 list (oops). I don't expect to be through this list any time in the near future, I'm sure it will take me a long time, but i'll share any good ones with you.

So the first recipe that I knocked off my list was this Soda bread. I've made Soda bread before, but I liked the look of this one with oats in it. Homemade bread is the best!! It tastes and smells great, you can control what you put in it and its quite impressive. There is one major downside though, bread takes forever to make. Thankfully Soda bread is the solution. It only takes about 5 minutes to whip up, needs no rising time and is out of the oven in under an hour.

Like most of my recipes I took a recipe I found, in this case from a website called 101 cookbooks, and then put my own twist on it.

Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp each pumpkin and sunflower seeds
1 3/4 cups buttermilk, or milk soured with 1Tbsp vinegar

1.Put the rolled oats in a food processor and process until you have made a slightly chunky powder. 2.Mix the oat flour with the other flours and the baking soda, salt and seeds.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk and mix until dough just comes together. If a little wet add a bit more flour.
4. Place dough on a floured board and knead for about 30 seconds.
5. Shape the dough into a mound and cut the top with a knife to form a cross.
6. Brush with milk. If desired sprinkle with a Tbsp of poppy or sesame seeds.

Forms one crusty loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...