Sunday, July 10, 2011

Muesli bars


Today is my first day back at uni so I thought that I would post a recipe for a good uni/school/work snack. I'm not the three square meals a day type of girl, I get hungry. Those of you who live in New Zealand, picture the kettles chips add with the "FEED ME PHIL" stomach, yea well my stomach can be a bit like that, therefore I tend to need snack food with me at uni.

I really like muesli bars, so homemade ones were on my 200 list. By the way I'm getting through that slowly. So far I have made 14 recipes from it, including some amazing chocolate cherry crepes last night. (I didn't get a photo, but I may have to post the recipe anyway). Anyway, back to the muesli bars. While these aren't quite like the ones you buy from the store, they are still pretty good and they are low in fat and sugar.
23x23 tin
Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
6 weetbix, crushed
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup other dried fruit, chopped
1/3 cup honey
1 cup orange juice
2 egg whites

1. In a small saucepan, melt the honey into the orange juice.
2. Leave the honey and orange juice to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3. Combine the oats, weetbix, sultanas and dried fruit together in a bowl.
4. Add the honey/juice mixture and stir to combine.
5. Stir in the egg whites, and mix well.
6. Press the mixture into a lined pan. (The one I used was approximately 23x23cm, but a smaller one is fine you will just have thicker bars)
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
8. While still warm, mark out into 12 bars.
9. Once cooled, cuts into bars.

The leftover egg yolks were turned into custard but does anyone have any good ways of using up egg yolks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...