I found this recipe in our local paper and really wanted to try it. It looked really different from the usual scone recipe, but these were absolutely delicious. The subtle cinnamon and orange flavours went so nicely with the dates and the wholemeal flour seemed to give them real substance. The recipe made 12 decent sized scones or 8 huge ones so its great for entertaining.
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups dates
1 Tbsp melted margarine
2 dessert spoons cinnamon
Zest 1 orange
Approximately 1 cup milk
1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. Put the dates in a glass jug and cover with boiling water.
3. Microwave for 4 minutes, then drain.
4. Mix all of the ingredients together to form a soft dough that is dry enough to handle
5. Shape the mixture into a circle and place on a greased baking tray.
6. Bake at 170 degrees C for 15-20 minutes, until almost cooked through
7. Cut into wedges and bake for 5-10 minutes more or until a skewer comes out clean.