Saturday, September 24, 2011
Open Chicken Burgers with Beetroot Cream
Today we had daylight savings. The evening is lighter, the weather is slightly warmer (if you ignore today's sleet showers) so its time for some more summer like food, burgers. Not that burgers can't be enjoyed at any time of the year but they are particularly good on the BBQ.
However, I was told by my sister I couldn't actually really call it a burger as there was no real bun involved, so call it an open sandwich if you must. I used a nice wholemeal loaf cut into thick slices and toasted but the patties would also be good in burger buns.
From Recipes +
500g Chicken mince
1 cup bought stuffing mix (I used sage and onion)
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 thick slices of bread or 4 burger buns
4 slices of cheese
225g can chopped beetroot
2 Tbsps sour cream
1. Combine the mince, stuffing mixture and egg in a medium bowl.
2. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape each portion into a 2cm thick patty.
3. Heat a frying pan and spray with cooking spray. Cook patties for 5 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through.
4. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
5. Preheat an oven grill.
6. Grill the bread/burger buns until lightly toasted.
7. Place a patty on each piece of bread and top with a slice of cheese.
8. Grill for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
9. Place beetroot and sour cream in a bowl and mix well.
10. Top burgers with beetroot cream and serve with a salad.