Monday, October 31, 2011

Cappuccino Muesli


As the weather starts to get warmer here in the Southern Hemisphere and a steaming hot bowl of porridge just doesn't seem right for breakfast I like to turn to a bowl of muesli with yoghurt. However, since in two months time I will be living away from home and having to pay for all my food it has made me realise how expensive muesli actually is, especially considering that the rolled oats used in muesli are so cheap. Homemade muesli is also really easy to make. Therefore I have begun to make my own muesli. My first attempt was a peanut butter and banana muesli from Healthy Food For Living and it was delicious!! This time I thought that would come up with my own creation including another breakfast favourite coffee.

If you aren't a coffee fan this recipe is really easy to make without it and will still taste good. If you wanted to you could substitute the banana for apple puree and the mixed spice for cinnamon and make an apple crumble muesli.

Ingredients
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Canola Oil
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp mixed spice
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
3/4 cup mixed nuts and seeds (I used peanuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup mixed dried fruit ( I used sultanas and dried cranberries)

1. In a bowl combine the banana, sugar, oil, maple syrup and mixed spice. Whisk until smooth.
2. Add the rolled oats and the puffed rice and mix until well combined.
3. Spread out in a flat layer on a baking sheet and bake at 160 degrees C. for 15 minutes.
4. Toss the muesli to help break it up and add the nuts.
5. Return to the oven for 10 minutes being very careful not to let it burn.
6. Let the muesli cool and then add in the dried fruit.
7. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...