Sunday, October 2, 2011

Wholemeal Beer Bread



I mentioned this bread in my last post and I made it again last night so thought it would be a great recipe to share. Homemade bread is so nice, especially when its still warm, but normally it is such a hassle to make. This is where breads like this are great, I think this is probably even easier than soda bread.

This took 5 minutes to mix together and then it is ready to go in the oven, no rising time necessary. That is all thanks to the already activated yeast in the beer. The beer also gives it a great, slightly sweet tasting bread. The beer you use can really change the flavour of the bread. The first time I made this I used a dark ale, but last time I used a lighter one and it tasted and looked quite different. Play around to find out which one you like. So far I have just used seeds as my extras since I love grainy bread but I think I may have to try putting some cheese in next time.

From Peanut Butter Boy

Ingredients
3 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup extras (either sunflower or pumpkin seeds, dried fruit for a sweet bread or grated cheese)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
320ml beer

1. Spray a bread pan or 2 smaller loaf pans with cooking spray.
2.Mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Pour in the beer and mix until well combined, it should be a slightly wet dough.
4. Put the dough into the pans and gently spread out so that it is even.
5. Bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes.
6. Let sit for 5 minutes before taking it out of the pan to cool.
7. Enjoy a slice still warm with butter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...