Sunday, March 11, 2012

Breakfast Crumpies


As a Sunday treat for hungry male and myself I tend to make us a nice breakfast. While hungry males liked the full cooked style of breakfast (eggs, bacon etc) I prefer the sweeter things in life, therefore I tend to alternate between sweet and savoury recipes.

This week was my sweet week and I chose to make a Jamie Oliver recipe called Breakfast Crumpies. He called them a cross between a crumpet and a yorkshire pudding. Now to my knowledge I don't believe that I have ever had a yorkshire pudding (I should add it to my list) but I definitely got the crumpet aspect. The holes inside of the Crumpies were perfect for absorbing some of the toppings.

I topped mine with a few combinations including cream cheese, banana, jam and maple syrup. The banana and maple syrup combination was awesome!! Hungry male is a little less adventurous so just stuck to maple syrup.

I have provided the full recipe which makes 12 but for just the 2 of us I halved the recipe as these were delicious fresh but I don't know how well they would store.

Ingredients
500g high grade bread flour
2 tsp sea salt
7g active yeast (I think around 1 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp sugar
Good pinch baking soda
600ml tepid water (When you dip your finger in you shouldn't really feel it)

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, yeast, sugar and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Pour in the water and whisk until just combined.
4. Let the mixture set for ten minutes.
5. Spoon the mixture into 12 greased muffin tins. The mixture should come nearly to the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
7. Once out of the oven let the Crumpies cool on a wire rack for a few minutes.
8. Cut in half and enjoy warm with your choice of toppings.

2 comments:

  1. Tried making these. Intended to make half a batch but put too much yeast in so increased the amount to the full ingredients above. My oven was too small to cook twelve so cooked six then another six. The first six came out as crumpies and rose nicely whilst cooking, the second batch rose whilst the first six were cooking but flattened out in the oven when they were cooking going darker brown and flat topped. These were more like bread but still good. So the proving time is quite important.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...