Monday, May 14, 2012

Pear Porridge with Dark Chocolate Yoghurt Topping


As we are right in the middle of pear season in New Zealand I thought that it was about time that I did a pear inspired recipe. This all started with me trying to figure out something tasty for breakfast this morning. I knew that I wanted some type of porridge (oatmeal for Americans) but since I had some time, I wanted something a little more interesting.

I had some pears in my fruit bowl and some dark chocolate in the cupboard. Pear and dark chocolate are one of those combinations destined to be together and I love desserts that include these two ingredients. I am the type of person that thinks anything good for dessert can be turned into an equally great breakfast.

I made my porridge with some ground ginger, but I do realise what a polarizing thing ginger is. I knew that many people would not even consider this breakfast (aka my sister) if it had ginger in the title, therefore I have made it optional.

To make the sauce I used a really good quality dark chocolate and greek yoghurt. This worked really well making a really fluffy sauce. You could try using other yoghurt but I can't vouch for how it will be. Just whatever you do don't use chocolate chips or chocolate compound, it will not mix in nicely with the yoghurt!

This recipe is for one serving but can easily be doubled, tripled etc.

Ingredients
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/2 medium pear, chopped
1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)

For the topping
10g good quality dark chocolate
1 tsp peanut butter
1 1/2 Tbsp plain thick yoghurt

Extra sliced pear

1. In a saucepan combine the oats, water, milk, sugar, pear and ginger.
2. Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for around 5 minutes or until the porridge is the consistency that you like.
4. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and peanut butter together gently in a small bowl.
5. Quickly stir in the yoghurt until well combined.
6. Serve the oats in a bowl with the topping and some extra slice pear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...