Monday, June 11, 2012

Creamy Chicken Potato and Leek Casserole


I've decided that its time to add a new recipe category, a slow cooker one. I love my slow cooker! After a busy day of university and work, it's really nice to be able to come home to a comforting cooked meal. A bonus for me being on a budget is that I can use cheaper cuts of meat and they still taste great. Slow Cookers are especially good for winter comfort food and that is where this recipe comes in.

I got the idea for this recipe from a food magazine, but it involved about 1 1/2 hours in the owen. While most of the time I don't want to wait that long for tea, it made it perfect to adapt for the slow cooker. It also uses some great seasonal ingredients.


The original recipe called for cream, but to lighten up the recipe a little I decided to use this Philadelphia Cream for Cooking. This tasted great in the casserole and it was still beautifully creamy. Next recipe I post I will give you a way to use the rest of this up.

Ingredients
5-6 large chicken drumsticks
1 leek
4 bacon rashers, diced
4 medium potatoes, diced into 1cm cubes
1/2 cup white wine
Chicken stock cube 
2/3 cup cream for cooking

1. Turn slow cooker on to low.
2. Using a heavy, sharp knife, cut the knobbly end off the drumsticks and remove the skin (I had to give mine a fairly good whack)
3.Place the potato and leek in the bottom of the slow cooker, place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the bacon.
4. Mix the wine and cream together, then pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
5. Place the stock cube into the slow cooker.
6. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
7. Just before serving, remove the drum sticks from the slow cooker and remove the bones.
8. Place the chicken back in and stir to combine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...