Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Veggie-rific margherita pizza



January is flying by!! I have just over one week left on my research report and this weekend I am flying up to Wellington for my sister's hens night. I can't wait! At the risk of revealing important secret details I won't write about what is happening just yet but I will update you to the goings on next week.

In other news, I had the most amazing donut. So amazing that it is actually news worthy. Last week I went to this really cool interactive exhibition at Dunedin Public Art Gallery with a friend (giant room sized beanbag anyone? ) Here is a photo of me getting stuck in said beanbag.

Anyway, before we went to the exhibition we stopped off at Nova Cafe next door. I ordered what I thought was a normal salted caramel donut. I mean, a salted caramel donut alone sounded amazing to me. When it arrived however, I was more than ecstatic. I got to syringe the filling myself!! It was so much fun and tasted amazing.



I suppose that I should get on to this pizza. I made this last week when I was home all by myself and therefore got to make anything that I wanted for dinner. One of my choices was pizza, but since I was on a bit of a greens fix last week I thought that I would veg it up. Glad I did as it tasted good and I knew that I was nourishing myself well.

Ingredients
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp active yeast
approx 1 cup lukewarm water

2 medium zuchinni, grated
1 red capsicum, finely diced
2-3 large tomatoes diced
1 cup basil leaves, shredded
1 cup water
Pinch sugar

1.5 cups grated cheese

In a large bowl mix the flours and create a well in the centre. Add the honey, yeast and a little of the warm water. Leave to sit for 5 minutes to let the yeast bubble up. Gradually stir in enough water to form a ball that isn't too sticky. Either using a stand mixer or by hand, knead for 6-8 minutes or until the dough stretches without breaking. Add extra flour as needed.

Flour a large chopping board or a bench and roll out the dough until it is about 1cm thick. Prick all over with a fork and transfer to a baking tray.

In the meantime, place the tomato, capsicum, zuchinni, basil and water in a saucepan. Let simmer for around 20 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce is thick. Turn heat up a little if this isn't happening.

Spread the sauce over the base and top with the cheese. Place in a 180 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden and the base is cooked.

Serve with a salad and wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...