Friday, January 10, 2014

Wholemeal and Buckwheat Pancakes



What a glorious Saturday it has been!!! It hasn't been exciting or anything, probably boring by many people's standards, but it is just one of those kind of Saturdays that make me feel rebalanced. My bedroom is looking beautiful and immaculately tidy, with fresh flowers on my duchess, all of my meals are planned for next week and a shopping list made, I have caught up on Revenge and I even got the chance to make the most of the beautiful weather and sit outside on the deck for lunch and to finish my book.

Now I feel all ready to go out and have a great night with friends as it is Hungry Male's birthday. Unfortunately he was busy all day with surf lifesaving, so I think tomorrow will be my day to spoil him with breakfast in bed. These pancakes that I made last weekend may just be good enough that he won't notice that they aren't the traditional refined sugar and flour version.

Oh and they are so so easy to make!!

N.B. This recipe makes enough for at least 4 very hungry people

Ingredients
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup buckwheat flour (Available from some supermarkets and health food stores. My local New World has it).
2 Tbsp maple syrup (preferably the real stuff)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
300ml milk
2 Tbsp white vinegar
80g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs

Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric or hand mixer until fluffy. If you don't have one of these, get moving that arm! Thin with a little more milk if necessary.

Heat a pan to a medium high heat and grease with a little extra butter if it is not non-stick.

Using a large spoon or ladle, spoon the mixture into the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, the top should have bubbles all over it and the bottom golden brown.

Flip the pancake and cook for another minute.

Serve with fresh fruit, yoghurt and of course some delicious, real maple syrup.


What is your favourite way to have pancakes? Do you have them by themselves or add lots of extras?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...