Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Better than Powerade- Homemade Electrolyte Drink



I did intend on posting this recipe about a week ago, but between my sister's wedding and beginning my honours course classes I got a tad busy. 

Being a tad busy is something that I am pretty sure I am just going to have to get over this year. After 2 days back at uni I have a list of about 10 things to do including 2 assignment due in about 2 weeks time. I also have to begin all of my prep to write my dissertation now. Hungry Male, if you are reading this I advise you to find some sort of project or hobby for the year as you may be abandoned for the library quite often.

I will try to keep creating recipes for you and posting them, but it may be a case of me sharing more what I am eating at the moment than recipes themselves and be prepared for busy periods when it may be a matter of weeks between posts.

I am also pretty sure that I am going to be needing this recipe a lot this year! Last Saturday I unfortunately woke up with what we know at Otago as "Fresher Flu". Basically it was a head cold with a bit of a nasty cough, but with a busy week ahead preparing for the wedding I wanted rid of it quickly! After looking at a few didn't recipes for homemade electrolyte drinks I develoepd this one to my tastes. While I definitely have a sweet tooth, I tend to quite dislike things like drinks that I think have waaaaaay more sugar added to them than is necessary. Electrolyte drinks such as powerade and gatorade fall into that category. I much prefer this homemade version as it is packed full of Vitamin C and it is very easy to adjust it to your tastes.

Ingredients
2 large lemons
2 organges
1/2- 1 tsp fine salt
2-4 tsp honey (I went with 2)
1 cup coconut water (or if not available, 1 cup cold water)
1 litre cold water

Squeeze the lemons and oranges and pour into a jug. Add the salt and honey and stir until they have both dissolved a bit.

Add the coconut water and cold water and give everything a really good stir until well combined.

Best served chilled

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...